Monday 3 June 2013

Car Boot Sale - Yay or Nay?

I have recently cleared out my room and cupboard. From this, I have come to the conclusion that I an a hoarder! I live in a tiny house - which most people in Scotland probably do, therefore storage space is essential so I need to get rid of a lot of stuff.

Now the easy, and quickest option is to drive to the dump and bin everything.  However in the 'Make do and mend' culture that is developing out of the financial difficulties, I feel it would be a waste to throw out items that are in near perfect conditions.

One option is eBay, which I have used, however there is the added cost of postage and waiting up to ten days to see if an item has sold.  I find eBay useful to sell smaller items and clothing. Larger and breakable items do not seem at home on an on line auction site.

I did consider handing the items into a charity shop, although I recently found out that charity shops only need to donate a percentage of their profit in order to maintain their charitable status.  I found this quite upsetting.  If I am wrong or if you know of a charity shop that does not do this, please let me know.

Since I was made redundant at the end of April, and the sparse job market, I thought I could 'Car Boot' my items.  By selling my items at a car boot I will hopefully release some cash to put towards bills and my up coming road trip.

A few months ago I tried and undercover car boot sale in Glasgow.  By undercover, I don't mean illegal or hidden, I mean it was in doors - more accurately a large empty warehouse.  A few of my friends had attended this car boot sale and managed to sell all their stuff.  I decided to have a go and I was severely disheartened as I only managed to shift some of my items.  After paying for my pitch I just about broke even and I was expecting to make some money. I believe the worst part was that I had to leave the house at five o'clock in the morning, in the winter and deal with people who wanted my items for free.

I have certainly decided that I need to go into my next car boot sale with an open mind.  I need to concentrate more on shifting my items than making money, although making money is always great!

If you have any car boot top tips, please let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment